3.21.2011

our wedding story - part l - morning

i woke up at 5:00 the morning of june 12th, 2010 to the sound of pouring rain and thunder.  we knew that choosing an outdoor ceremony and reception would be risky...choosing not to rent a tent was even more risky.  i think back to that day and wonder to myself "what were we thinking," but this was the wedding we wanted.  besides you can't have a vintage carnival/circus wedding indoors...what fun would that be?  i had second thoughts about our choices that morning...it had been raining all week (seriously...all week!) surely it would stop sometime!


i spent the night and got ready in a beautiful suite surrounded by amazing friends and family.  i could look out the window and see the lincoln state capitol, the location for our ceremony and reception just a few blocks away.  everyone looked beautiful.  i especially loved the small birdcage veils that i made for each of my bridesmaids...it was the perfect touch.

getting into my dress was interesting.  those little buttons were not easy to deal with as you all can imagine.  future brides take note...keep a crochet hook handy...it seriously helps!  while myself and the lovely ladies continued to get ready in our room, just one door down were the handsome gentlemen getting their bow ties ready.


matthew and i wanted everything to be as old fashioned as possible...do you think they had clip on bow ties back in the 1930's?  i'm thinking no :) unfortunately no one knew how to tie a traditional bow tie, so that duty was left to the mom's, lisa (matthew's mother pictured above) and my mom laura, not pictured (but you can see her helping get my dress on in the pictures above!).

there was something so exciting knowing that my best friend, soul mate, and soon to be husband was right next door getting ready as i was getting ready.  at this time it was just after 11:00...i would see him for the first time that day at 12:00.  before we headed over to the capitol for our "first look" at each other corey, our photographer snapped a few shots of us by ourselves first.


looking out the window for these pictures, i was happy to see that the rain had finally subsided.  i crossed my fingers that it would be long enough to get through the whole celebration day!  the parasol in this photo was an antique that i rented from a place called bella umbrella in seattle.  each of my bridesmaids carried one of these parasols instead of a bouquet of flowers.

that elephant ring you see there was a gift from matthew.  i named her elle.  she could not have been  more perfect.  i wanted a piece of jewelry that was fun, different and that fit our theme... i don't think anything could have beat a pink rhinestone elephant with a pearl on the trunk.


these pictures of matthew were taken at the state capitol in one of the most famous hallways in the building.  this is where he waited for me...this is where we had our first look!  matthew did not want to go with a traditional suit for the wedding party so he decided on brown dress pants, a cream button up, suspenders, bow ties, and then he and his dad brian (also his best man) wore these fabulous plaid jackets.

one of our favorite details of the wedding was the ring bearer book.  matthew and i picked up a vintage irish folk tale book.  i cut a well into the pages and attached a decorative piece of ribbon and paper inside where the rings were suspended.  the outside had a paper pinwheel and the book was closed shut with more ribbon (we didn't want those things flying out!)

the time had reached 12:00 it was time for our first look.

all photos taken by corey rourke

30 comments :

  1. my sister had those kinds of buttons all down her dress as well and MAN what i now realize how handy a crochet hook really could have been for us. haha

    i LOVE the umbrella idea and the fact that they're vintage. sooo so pretty.

    your dress is gorgeous and i, too, have thought about ditching the long veil for one of those.. what did you call it? birdcage veils?

    everything looks so elegant {your earrings!} and sounds so exciting and magical.

    i can't wait for the other part of the story :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I'm really speechless. These pictures are amazing, and the wedding ideas are wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Beautiful, wonderful...like in a movie! I wanna see more!!!! You can't just stop there!!! Haha!! Love it! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. simply magical! u guys are god sent! xo loving this doll! enjoy the week...can't wait to see more:) xoxoxoxoxoxo !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowwwwwwwwww!!!!!! So Gorgeous! Can't wait for the next installment!

    Charlotte xx

    www.agirwrites.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh, just reading this gives me butterflies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. nooooooo I wanna see the rest! haha This is so exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure make a gorgeous bride!! can you just dress up in a wedding dress every day cause you are soo pretty to look at haha ok fine then!! This is exciting, I can't wait to see his reaction to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this makes me so excited about the mister and i's day.

    40 days and counting! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it! I just ordered a similar book for our rings!
    I love those veils you made and your whole theme is amazing!
    congrats and cant wait to hear the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wedding was so lovely! I can't wait to see the rest of the photos. I love the theme too!
    <3

    http://bunniebeeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful photos! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow!! This is such a beautiful post! :)
    I can't wait to see the rest! I feel like i'm there with you on the day! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading your wedding day story, partially because on the same day we were getting married too :) I know I didn't sleep that well the night before because I could hear thunder and lighting all night long!

    Happy Monday lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, lady!! You made a georgeous bride!
    Everything looked beautiful and I will take note on those buttons ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a very unique idea for a wedding! It really shows both of your personalities and I can't wait to see more pictures of this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!!! YOU ARE STUNNING! I loved the theme for you wedding. The Elephant ring, bow ties, ring book, parasols, and jackets. Everything just clicks! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I can't believe you're leaving us hanging... :) Can't wait till Part 2!

    PS- My birthday is June 13th!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE, LOVE this! I'm getting ready for my wedding in June and it's so exciting to see others' stories and the details they incorporated! Love your ring bearer book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lindsay... i am literally crying right now! SERIOUSLY. I'm such a sap... and I was like NOOOOOOOOOOO when it said to be continued!!! Just like i do with my favorite tv shows... ah, you are such a beautiful bride.. so classic and lovely. reading this i felt like i was there (like I really wish i could have been) but the carnival theme, the photos, the elephant ring, the parasols, everything.. it's too perfect. you are truly one of the most incredible human beings i've ever met and i'm so blessed to call you my friend. one of my dearest, best friends actually. love you gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's all so beautiful. I can't wait for Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous pictures! I like the 30's aspect of everything. Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE the name of the rhinestone elephant :-) These pictures are so gorgeous, they make me want to get married already. such a cute theme, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. fabulous post... I love this!! Your pics are gorgeous....

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look so beautiful!! Great pictures!!

    :)
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  26. just found your lovely blog- what a beautiful wedding you had! love your veil and jewelry! you looked gorgeous, i'm glad you had a great day!
    <3 mode.
    http://modestylist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhh I love this post! What a wonderful story and the pictures are stunning. I can't wait to read the rest! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh wow I love everything. You look stunning and I love the theme! On to the next post!! Beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete